Recruiting Docents

Using social media for recruiting

Home Online Communities Volunteers Recruiting Docents

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stephanie Tripp 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
May 1, 2013 at 2:08 pm #1097

sm685

Could someone give me some input on using social media for recruiting docents?  We are lookiing at different ways to entice people to volunteer at the museum and I was wondering if any other museum had made use of Facebook, twitter or other forms of social media. 

Thanks

Bob Mays

Smith Collection

May 1, 2013 at 4:38 pm #1099

nccm138

Hello Bob.

We have utilized both Facebook and our own website to seek docents and gift shop volunteers here at the Northeast Classic Car Museum thinking that we would be able to tap into a younger pool of volunteers. For our purposes “younger” means someone ages 45 -65. Regrettably, it has not had the success we desire. For us it is a function of the deliverable (people with knowledge of cars from ranging from 1899 to 1972) and to a lesser extent our location. In your case, Lincoln is much bigger than Norwich, NY so there is probably a larger population of car people. I would not rule it out, but it is the same problem since you have to know that people are being driven to your site and Facebook account to see the request. You may have more luck with an ad in your local newspaper, advertising to current visitors or sending out requests to local car clubs to see if there is interest.

Good luck in your search.

Marc Michaels

Executive Director

Northeast Classic Car Museum

August 13, 2013 at 3:33 pm #1206

tam323

I’ve mentioned on another thread that we are trying to set up a volunteer program.  We are currently in the process of working with the 2 universities here in town to recruit interns.  These may not be long-term, but help fill the need for warm bodies to talk to people–and we hope with training they could be a real asset to the museum.  Also, here in Florida, all high school students (and college students) are required to perform x number of community service hours.  As a 501(c)(3) organization, they can do their community service here at the museum and earn those hours.  I’ll let you know how that works out!

October 29, 2015 at 6:26 pm #1829

Stephanie Tripp

Something that we aim for is to intentionally engage with automotive students at various colleges. It certainly opens the door when you offer the program a scholarship, but it might not be necessary. By connecting the students to your facility, you won’t need to worry about putting forth a bunch of effort to set up a fabulous Facebook page, or Twitter/Instagram account.

Young people are always on their devices, and when they are in your museum – encourage them to take pictures. Social Media coverage of your museum will naturally occur. Suggesting an appropriate hashtag is super helpful in keeping everything in one place.

If I may offer this one last perspective as a member of the Millennial Generation: Even though we may appear to interact with the world only through digital connections, we are still on the hunt for an authentic experience. Take time to personally invite a few young people to the museum, and work on a project together.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.