archives

digitizing archival images

Home Online Communities Curatorial archives

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bob Schmitt 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
March 18, 2014 at 2:21 pm #1376

Sam Grate

We are seeking a tried and true system for filing digitized archival images.  We have a system set up in access to allow key word searches that could reference automobile year, make, model, significant personalities, etc.  We need to know  what the typical searchable fields should be, the numbering and filing system to use including the same image at different resolutions.  Does anyone have a written system?  Thanks!

April 2, 2014 at 6:10 pm #1380

naam admin

Are you referring to something like PastPerfect software?

http://www.MuseumSoftware.com

Terry Ernest

Wills Museum

April 9, 2014 at 8:23 pm #1388

Bob Schmitt

Hi –

Rather than use Access, you should check the free Greenstone Digital Library software – it’s designed to do exactly what you describe and, assuming you have Word, Excel or pdf text scans/documents, it will fully index every word.  I’ve been working with it for three years and have much “how to” on the CarLibrary.org website

The second issue you mention – which fields to set up for search – should open a discussion about the “best” categories of descriptors for vehicles and documents related to them.

Terry mentioned PastPerfect.  I think it’s very effective collections management software.  Their documentation, available on their website, is almost a course in setting up a museum.  You’ll find advice on numbering, etc.

Check CarLibrary.org and contact me with questions or comments.

Bob Schmitt

May 15, 2014 at 12:54 am #1408

Bob Schmitt

Hi to all –

This updates my prior note on systems for filing/organizing digital images – and anything else!

I contacted PastPerfect and got excellent help with a demo version of their software.  Although I’m not a museum professional, it seems to do nearly everything a museum requires to be “organized”.  This includes back office tasks, such as contact info for members, donors and volunteers.

The main categories for items are objects, photos, library and archives.  I easily loaded much Frazer Nash material from Excel files (direct imports) and have been enhancing the basic records with images and links to pdf files, when available and relevant.

Each category allows 22 “custom fields”, which should be enough for any vehicle or unusual transportation object to be well-described.

I’m still learning the basic operations, but have made a “virtual exhibit” and sent it to my basic Frazer Nash website.  See http://frazernash-usa.com/vex1/

If there are car museums/collections in the Los Angeles area that may be interested in this systems, I’d be glad to pay a visit and explore this software.  I’ll also be soon making a YouTube video

Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.