New Infrastructure/Collection Storage Facility

Ideas tips, and insights into new Collection Storage Facility.

Home Online Communities Administration New Infrastructure/Collection Storage Facility

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of naam admin naam admin 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
June 2, 2017 at 8:17 pm #2442
Profile photo of Justin Cuffe
Justin Cuffe

The Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada has received approval to start planning and construction on a new Collection Storage Facility. This building is expected to be at least 120,000 square feet of public-accessible and environmentally-controlled storage for the museums vast collections.

I have been tasked by management to investigate what other museums with similar collections have done for their collection storage. I am looking for any ideas that may be incorporated into the planning for our new facility.

At the moment these are the givens:

– it will be at least 120,000 square feet
– it will be public accessible i.e. guided tours and programming
– it will be environmentally-controlled i.e. 18-21 degree C, 30-50% RH
– it will be built to meet energy efficient standards (LEED silver rating)

So what we are interested in, is learning what works and what might be avoided in the design of this new Collection Storage Facility? Is there certain types of equipment that we should look at? Is there specific vehicle racking/storage system that we should look at?

Any help or advice would be of great benefit to us.

Justin Cuffe
Curator, Transportation Collections
Reynolds-Alberta Museum

July 14, 2017 at 8:31 pm #2462
Profile photo of naam admin
naam admin

You may want to check with the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI. As I recall, in their Benson Ford Research Library they even have a refrigerated storage area.
Terry Ernest

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.