Purpose of the Conference Scholarship Program
NAAM is dedicated to helping its members grow professionally through informative annual conferences and networking opportunities. To fulfill this goal, NAAM offers scholarships each year to its annual conference. The scholarship program is designed for museums with limited financial resources to pay for their staff to attend the conference.
- To award up to three scholarships annually to qualified applicants. Each includes complimentary conference registration and up to $1,000 in travel expenses for transportation and lodging at the conference host hotel.
- Applicants must be a paid employee (or a volunteer with a recommendation letter from their executive director) of a legally organized not-for-profit, 501(c)(3), museum with an annual budget less than $500,000. (Note: Applicants will be eligible if the museum where they are employed has applied for nonprofit status and they provide proof of payment of non-profit application fees.)
- The museum must be an institutional member of NAAM.
- The museum must be educational in nature and present regularly scheduled programs and exhibits that use and interpret objects for the public according to accepted standards.
- If the museum is not regularly open to the public, there should be plans in place to open to the public within the next two years.
- The application must be approved by the applicant’s supervisor. If the applicant does not have a supervisor, the application must be endorsed by the board chair.
- A scholarship recipient is not eligible to apply for a scholarship during the following scholarship award year.
- Application deadline - February 12, 2019.
- Applicants must answer all questions and give special attention to the inquiry about how they will benefit from attending the conference.
- An application does not guarantee the applicant will be awarded a scholarship.
- Awards will not be granted if there are no qualified candidates.
- Scholarship applicants will be notified whether they received a scholarship or not in advance of the conference early-bird registration deadline.
- Scholarship payments will be awarded to the museum and not the employee.
- The award must be taken in the year it was awarded.
- Payments will be issued after the conference when required receipts for authorized expenses have been submitted to NAAM and approved for reimbursement.
- Checks for scholarship payments not deposited after six months will not be reissued and the scholarship will be forfeited.